Panoramic videos of the Euganean Hills
-Church of the Sacred Heart:
Begun in 1913 on sketch of the ing. Benetazzo in Padua, after different mishaps and constructive works, it was consecrate from the well bishop of Padua Charles Agostini, September 1 st 1945 and devoted as modern church of the parish of Torreglia to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
it is a small complex of buildings that stands on the top of the homonymous hill. Located in the contrada Vallorto, one of the most ancient villages of Torreglia.
Its origins can be traced back to 899 d.C., the year in which the emperor longobardo Berengario I ordered the fortification of the Euganean territory to defend the population from the barbarian incursions.
Born as a defensive place, subsequently transformed into aristocratic residence and then became a monastery, it still preserves an atmosphere of strong suggestion. Towering above the hills and the surrounding countryside, invites contemplation and meditation.
Every year at the end of of October there is the custom to celebrate the end of the collected with the traditional “Antica Sagra del Castelletto”, that thanks to the availability of the respective owners, offers the opportunity to visit from near both the manor complex and the ancient gastaldia.
-San Sabino Church and the Eremo of San Luca:
With alternate periods of splendour and decay, the current structure of the Church is typical of the eighteenth century and due to remake funded by the scholar torregliano Jacopo Facciolati completed in 1765.
Along the north side of the church there is a bell tower. Built on an ancient base of boulders trachyte, was once a guard tower, together with those present in Luvigliano and on the Castelletto.
On the Colle della Mira the historian Andrea Glory (1821-1911) places one of the castles of family property Transelgardi, lords of Castelnuovo, perhaps then destroyed at the time of Ezzelino da Romano (1194-1259). This ancient building for the observation of the territory gives the name to the hill called precisely of Mira.
-Eremo of Monte Rua:
The Hermitage of Santa Maria Annunziata is situated on the top of Monte Rua (416 m a.s.l.) at the town of Torreglia, at the center of the Euganean Hills. As reported by some documents, its foundation is due to two Hermits belonging to the community of S. Mattia of Murano who in 1339 got permission from the Bishop of Padua to build the church in memory of Our Lady.
-In Luvigliano locality (right next to Torreglia) I report the Villa of Bishops:
probably the most important and evocative of the place. The hillock on which it is located, surrounded on one side by a natural amphitheater formed by monti pendix, Pirio and Rina, stretching from the other toward the plain of Torreglia and Abano, was formerly called Livianum and considered the place chosen by the Latin historian Tito Livio for one of its countryside residence.
Also for this literary suggestion the hill is the property of the bishops of Padua since the XI century, was designed to accommodate a Casa dominicale: this first building is documented in 1474, at the time of Bishop humanist Jacopo Zeno, which ordered to demolish and rebuild the ancient Pieve di San Martino – beside the palace – in the area in which currently is located the parish church.
We must mention also the presence of countless other villas such as Villa Zadra-Pimbiolo, Villa Gussoni-Barbieri and Villa Pollini.
rises on a very panoramic plateau on the east side of Monte Rua, between the municipalities of Galzignano Terme and Torreglia. You can reach it via the trail that climbs from the locality PIANZIO, starting from the old church of Galzignano, or from Torreglia Alta, taking the white road that meets on the left climbing the road that leads to the hermitage of Monte Rua.
The “roccolo” (a term of uncertain origin, perhaps derives from the latin rotulus to track the round shape, or from the diminutive of Rocca for the presence of a tower) is a product for the art of uccellagione, the ancient practice of capture migratory birds with nets. This, belonged to Dino Bonato, is without doubt the best preserved in the Euganean Hills, where in the past if there were many other, today largely disappeared.
Near the village of mills we can encounter the source of the Rio Calcina called Fonte Regina because of the high quality of the water.
Enchanting known source and used since Roman times for feeding the aqueducts of surrounding countries. The jet of spring water, which falls with a small waterfall became a brook, flows through an element of the ancient aqueduct in trachyte of Roman epoch of which remain traces in the surrounding woods. In ancient times the inhabitants attributed to these beneficial waters curative qualities.
Also for lovers there are many nature trails on foot and by bike, one of which leads to one of the few wetlands remained of the Euganean Hills: the biotope of San Daniele.
The place is locally known as “Lago Verde” for the presence of the famous sport fishing. It really is not a single mirror of water, but a series of artificial basins that were created as a result of the excavation of the clay that was used in the nearby Fornaci di Monteortone (now no longer existing) for the production of bricks and tiles.
The various basins of the biotope of San Daniele, besides having different depths, also have different degrees of naturalisation: those abandoned by more time have a larger number of species is herbaceous arboreal that inside the basin and on the shores; those still used for sport fishing are, instead, dug periodically and kept mown on its shores and then have a smaller variety of the vegetation.